Would you like to cut your schedule and cost by over 50%? YES – I would rather not spend days poring over 5 different tools’ check_timing reports!
Recently we worked on a chip where we started working on a fixed-cost, fixed-schedule model. The numbers are compelling – and we wanted to share them here. Now, obviously this is just one piece of the problem (it’s a big design). But we’re able to offer amazing cost & schedule advantages compared to our old way of doing things – as consultants and with a few 10000’s of lines of scriptware that came with us everywhere.
What we could offer using TimeVision Consulting on a large, complex System-On-Chip block at 65nm was….
- Block -> 30+ clocks, 500K+ instances, 121k registers
- Contents -> purchased soft & hard IP, internally-designed subsystems, ARM AMBA interfaces
- DFT – scan & bist logic inserted
- IOs – several complex & speed-sensitive IO interfaces at full-chip level
- Modes – generate all mode constraints including functional, scan shift/capture, BIST
- Requirements – IP documentation for hard/soft IP, several hours of RTL designer(s) time to discuss clocks & other design issues
- Deliverables (1) qualified & debugged constraints for synthesis and place/route, and (2) qualified, debugged & validated signoff constraints for all modes
|Task||“Typical” Consulting||TimeVision Consulting|
|Time Expended||Cost @$100/hr||Time Expended||FIXED cost|
|Timing Constraint Development, Debug, Integration||4 weeks||$16 000||4 days||$8 000|
|Backend Collateral (Clock diagrams, balancing requirements, IO timing etc)||1 week||$4 000||1 day||$2 000|
|Major Iterative Respin (RTL change, new IP drop)||2 weeks||$8 000||2 days||$4 000|
|Prorated EDA tool cost||$3 000|
|TOTAL TIME/COST||7 weeks||$31 000||7 days||$14 000|
Compared to what we would have done previously, we were able to deliver
- 55% cost reduction
- 5x faster turnaround time ( 4 weeks -> 4 days)
- 5x faster turnaround on iterations of the same block ( 2 weeks -> 2 days)
Our 4 day work included the review and integration of RTL desinger/IP Vendor provided point-to-point, register-level false/mcp paths and case_analysis.
Wow! Who wouldn’t want that!